Fall is slowly showing its face, and I’m welcoming it full heartedly. I love Fall!
The warm smells and flavors, the cool air, the beautiful scenery.. what is there not to love?
Yesterday we had some friends over for the last fire of the summer, but my mind was already one step of head when it came to dessert decorating, which is why this yummy cake is topped with super cute candy corn jimmies! I chose to make a topped with two types of chocolate frosting, my favorite cake combo. This cake isn’t homemade because I didn’t have much time, but it tastes homemade because I chose to doctor the mix up to make it taste even richer! I also made a homemade chocolate cream cheese frosting that was OUT of the world! It had a fabulous cocoa flavor, and just the right amount of sweet! Loved it! On top of this yummy layer I slathered on a healthy dose of chocolate canned frosting, not as good as homemade, but it made this cake. You could opt to make homemade chocolate buttercream, but for times sake I didn’t mind using the canned at all. Although I like to make most everything from scratch I’m not a canned hater, nope not me! Sandra Lee from Semi- Homemade is an idol of mine because in today’s society it’s almost impossible to make everything from scratch.
So if you’d like a fabulously delish triple chocolate cake with a homemade taste give this cake a go…. it won’t disappoint! I mean I’m only had a huge slice at 11 pm because I just couldn’t resist its calling!
(Triple Chocolate Cake! Photo by Me.)
Triple Chocolate Cake
1 box Triple Chocolate Cake Mix (pillsbury)
1 cup 2% milk
1/4 cup light cream
4 tbsp salted butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line pan and spray cake pan. (I made 12 cupcakes, and a 8′ cake using a pie pan)
2. Mix all the above ingredients according to the back of the box. (DON’T ADD THE EGGS, OIL, AND BUTTER CALLED FOR ON THE BACK OF THE BOX!)
3. Spoon batter into pan. Fill cupcakes about 2/3 the way, and use remaining batter for the cake.
4. Bake cupcakes for about 18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. And the cake you should begin to check around 32 minutes.
5. Allow to cool completely!
BEST Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp salted butter, softened
2 tbsp crisco shortening
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Mix all the ingredients, except powdered sugar until fully combined. Scrape bowl and add in sugar by 1/2 cups being sure that it is fully combined before adding another 1/2 cup.
(A look inside this yummy cake! Photo by Me.)
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1 can Chocolate frosting (I used pillsbury)
Homemade Buttercream: Click here for recipe
1. Frost cupcakes first with Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting. Be sure to leave enough frosting for a semi- thin, but not too thin layer for the cake.
2. Stir the canned frosting so that it is very smooth, and super easy to spread. If need be heat it in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften. Place about half a can of frosting on top of the cake and spread over the whole cake. Do the same for the cupcakes. (I chose to leave the cupcakes with just Cream Cheese frosting, but its up to you if you’d like to mix the two frostings on top of the cupcakes.)
3. To decorate I just lined the cake with a single ring of chocolate chips, and used my favorite halloween sprinkles!
This cake is fabulous to eat alone, but I added some vanilla ice cream and cool whip on the side and it was absolutely over the top. It made the cake even smoother going down! Enjoy!
(Mmmm.. Photo by Me.)